Starting a new life living aboard narrow boat Betty in and around London. This is my journal of life aboard Betty,exploring canal-side living, self-sufficiency and finding some quality time to do my painting.

Tuesday 9 September 2008

Thirteen Geese

This morning thirteen geese swept past me, skidded along the canal with much raucous banter and coming to rest near the spot where I saw the Jewish diver again last night.

He was on the opposite bank, so I couldn't stop and become acquainted. He was wearing a full face balaclava, shorts and flippers. I wonder if he found anything down there? I would be intrigued to see a list of his finds and discover what motivates him to swim the Lea, particularly as I am just reading ' Waterlog' by Richard Deakin, an account of one man's journey around the UK swimming wild, in rivers, lakes, waterfalls, pools, streams and the open sea.

Leaving Stonebridge I noticed that British Waterways have left a work barge full of equipment and materials for repairing the electronic lock. This will be a relief to many boaters as the manual lock is particularly difficult to operate, leaks water so quickly that you need to keep the paddles open to get out and takes twice as long to get through than other locks.

Along the towpath rosehips, haw berries, elderberries, sloes and crab apples are in abundance - I only wish I had more time to harvest this wild crop. Still, my wine-making kit has arrived for making some Elderberry wine at the weekend.

No comments: